Monday, November 10, 2008

music from high school

First of all today was the miracle of all miracles. I forgot that my morning class was canceled, and then I remembered, which was a pleasant surprise. As I happily trotted off to get in extra hour and a half of homework, I ran into a friend who informed me that our afternoons class was canceled. Upon checking my email I found that she was right. All my classes for the day = gone. delightful.

OK, so delight number two. Listening to music from my high school days. Pop punk was perfect for inciting both defiance and dancing. Embarassing fact? Good Charlotte still does it for me. Who doesn't like boys with eyeliner dissing rich celebs and rejecting authority?




Lifestyles of the rich and the famous
only see it on tv
read it in the magazines
celebrities that want sympathy

all they do is piss and moan
inside the rolling stone
talking about how hard life can be

Id like to see them spend the week
livin life out on the street
I dont think they would survive

but they could spend a day or two
walking in someone elses shoes
I think they'd stumble and they'd fall
they would fall
Fall

Lifestlyes of the rich and the famous
theyre always complainin
always complainin
if money is such a problem
well they got mansions
think we should rob them

well did you know when your famous you could kill your wife
and theres no such thing as 25 to life
as long as you got the cash to pay for cochran

and did you know if you were cought and you were smokin crack
and McDonald's wouldnt even wanna take you back
you could always just run for mayor of D.C.


So good, right? And "The Anthem," even better. It makes me happy because it reminds me of all the good times I had in high school with certain friends, and because I will never grow out of punk music. What other music's only purpose of existing is to say, in an almost endearingly wholesome way, "you want me to do what? you see me how? screw that. i'm out." Of course the album is heavily laced with emo music about how rough it is to be a teenager, but I probably will never grow out of that stuff either.


anthem

It's a new day, but it all feels old
It's a good life, that's what I'm told
But everything, it all just feels the same
At my high school, it felt more to me like a jail cell, a penitentiary
My time spent there it only made me see

That I don't ever wanna be like you
I don't wanna do the things you do
I'm never gonna hear the words you say
and I don't ever wanna.
I don't ever wanna be.you.
don't wanna be just like you
What I'm saying is this is the anthem
throw all your hands up
you.don't wanna be you

Go to college, a university, get a real job
That's what they said to me
But I could never live the way they want
I'm gonna get by and just do my time
Out of step while they all get in line
I'm just a minor threat, so pay no mind

Do you really want to be like them,
Do you really wanna be another trend,
Do you wanna be part of that crowd
cause I don't ever wanna.
I don't ever want to be you.
don't wanna be just like you
what I'm saying is.this is the anthem
throw all your hands up.you.
don't wanna be you.

Another loser anthem, whoa . . .

1 comment:

lina said...

wow. so many memories. high school.
& a lot of those lyrics are so true too. haha, im hearing some of these concepts in my soc classes. althought not so blunt.