Saturday, November 22, 2008

do you remember

One of the first blogs I posted was about the curly haired boy who brought sunshine into chapel for me. This boy has been oddly off mic all semester. I've heard him sing before, I know it would make the music so much better. But the image of chapel, of most worship bands, is pretty preset. I mean, there can be variations. Sometimes there are different kinds or combinations of drums. Sometimes there are several non instrument playing vocalists, sometimes only one, sometimes none. Usually the non instrument playing vocalist role is where women or girls find a place in the worship scene. But the one, almost unchanging factor is the worship leader. Which is a funny title, if you ask me. Don't worry though - no one asks me.
Anyways, so this worship leader is always the primary vocalist, playing guitar (usually acoustic) and, 99% of the time, is male. If this individual isn't male, be suspicious. Some fishy liberal agenda is at work.
Well, in our chapel, the worship leader is this wholesome, innocent looking Christian boy. Not that there's anything wrong with him looking innocent and wholesome; the self-absorbed man-whore from last year was creepy. Anyways, this year's boy is cute, and definitely says good little in between song transitions or prayers. Good in the sense that they are cliche-filled and bible verse-esque enough to qualify as church approved, and awkward enough to qualify as spontaneous and spiritual. I digress.
This worship leader boy always is the primary vocal, and then there is a panel of backup vocalists. All very lovely. But sunshine boy never gets a mic, and I always wish he would. Of course I also someimtes wish everyone else on stage would just disappear, or imagine if he were on mic we would magically not be singing cheesy worship songs. But that's just me over reacting. Ignore that.
Well, last week in chapel, curly sunshine boy was on mic. He was coming in and out with his vocals, bringing satiating harmony to the songs. His voice is beautiful, his performance unpolished. Just enough to make me smile.

No comments: